artwork by patriciasoliani

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Food Trip: Jollibee in Kuwait

Finally, I took a bite of the Bee.

Three days after it opened, Jollibee Kuwait is still overflowing with enthusiastic Pinoys waiting in line for hours, wanting to have a taste of home away from home.


Last night, I became part of that mob.

As soon as I arrived home from work yesterday, I asked my wife if she wants to try our luck tonight, she said okay. My daughter must have overheard us and said "Daddy, teacher asked us if we've been to Jollibee already and everybody said Yes, I am the only one No." Okay, so it only means we have to go..lol.

As expected, when we reached the store there's still a queue outside. So we decided to go and do other matters then just come back later.


And come back we did. It was already past 9 by then, about an hour and a half since we first passed by. There were still people in line outside, but at least fewer than the previous days so I thought this should not take long.


I joined the line. When I was standing there, I felt a sort of embarrassment to myself... like I was telling how these people could stand hours of waiting just to have a burger and chicken...like I told before I would wait for the madness to settle down maybe in a months time before  I bring my family here...and yet, here I am, standing outside, waiting patiently for my burger and chicken..LOL!


Inch by inch the line moved until I found myself already inside the store..weee! I am just a few minutes away from the counter. But those minutes quickly turned to hour and yet I felt we are not moving any closer. Darn, this waiting is taking forever and the smell of freshly cooked chicken is killing me. I watched as one by one, customers make their order and as they happily collect their bags of goodness and turned away from the counter with a sigh of relief and desperation. I heard one said, " Sa wakas (At last), after 3 hours!"..I also watched in amazement how one lady ordered just one burger meal for take out..She was there from 7 pm and she ordered just that? Oh well..


Closing time is coming and I can sense an increased feeling of anxiety with my fellow customers. Add to this,  some items are already being sold out! Like what the..**!, you waited long enough only to be told "Sorry, Sir..Sorry Ma'am, sold out na po." 


Anyway, my turn came so I made my order.. and I made sure I have all I wanted..I mean, if you waited that long, better make it sure it's worth the wait..hah!


We drove back home, tired and hungry and cold.. By close to midnight, we had our dinner...on bed!..just so tired to have a meal on the dining table...I finished my burger within minutes and Mommy finished half of hers before we turned our attention to the chicken meal..my girls are also delighted with their spaghetti meal, and in fact, even alternately taking a bite from our burgers!..in less than 10 minutes, we're done...

So was it worth all that?.Definitely!...seeing the smiles..and the spaghetti sauce...on my girl's face..It's definitely yes.

Will I do it again? No..not that soon..I will come back there again after a month's time, after all these madness has settled down...

Or until I crave for another burger..

No comments: