artwork by patriciasoliani

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

"My Name is Zoë...That's Z, o, and e with the "umlaut" or "two dots, ma'am."

Naming babies is always fun..Ako ang madalas nagiisip ng pangalan ng babies ko..Pero siempre, ang appoval sa mommy hahaha..My eldest daughter is Klydine Gecyrille or Dewi..well.. its a jumbled combination of my name and their mom's..My son is Klyde Bon Czaren or Bon..(klyde to connect it with her ate's name and Czaren as combination of his lolos' names, Cesar and Ente..yung Bon ay pahabol lang kasi pinanganak sya feast day ni St. Bonaventure..alam nyo naman mga elders, dapat sumunod minsan sa santo..)

pagkatapos ng kilo-kilometrong pangalan ng first two kids ko, eto naman ang maiiksi..

Cianna was a unanimous choice..sunod kasi either sa pangalan ko o kaya ni PrinCIe..at connected din kay ANAgaile..

and now comes Zoë..or simply Zoe...

We considered a lot of names prior to this but it kinda stood out from the rest..It has a sweet sound to it..me lambing sa dulo ika nga..the first time I saw my baby, alam ko the name will suit her perfectly..it means "Life" in Greek.

She will have a second name though but that will be decided soon ..I need to register her and make her name official, to get her her own passport, visa etc etc..only then I can announce her full name to the world..

but for now, she will be Zoë..that's how it is supposed to be spelled..

That's Z, o, and e with "umlaut" or "two dots".

Two dots mean two syllables. Zo-wee..

that's what makes it a unique and special name...but we might..no, WE WILL settle for the simple spelling..to avoid complications in the future..you know how "complicated" typists, registrars and who else, can be..Imagine my daughter always saying "My Name is Zoe...That's Z, o, and e with the "umlaut" or "two dots, ma'am."

I, myself, have to constantly correct my name, the spelling, the pronunciation, the gender..yes, countless times, somebody will call my name sa mga pila sa school o sa mga public offices with a MISS as in MISS CYRIL..and then later give me that puzzled look na " ay lalaki pala"...even during my college days nung literary writer at cartoonist ako for our school paper..di lang iilan yung nagtanong sa Editor-in-Chief namin kung babae daw ba ako..sus me..

anyway..

ZOE it will be..spelled without the dots but pronounced as how it should be..

No comments: