artwork by patriciasoliani

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Before the Tower, there was Al Hamra Cinema

I was browsing through my files from my previous office when I chanced upon these photos of the Al Hamra Cinema as it was before. Our office (LAS) used to do a lot of Master Planning studies and proposals for the development of Kuwait City and this area, Al Maqwa Al Shargi, where the cinema used to stand, was part of one of our studies. I don't know much about the history of this cinema, or even Kuwait in general, but I know this cinema was and will always be a part of each and every Kuwaiti families lives.

panorama (front)

panorama (rear side)

We took these photos during our survey of the area in 2003. The other photos in the set were taken in the latter part of 2004, I guess for sentimental reasons,  when the building was demolished to give way to the construction of the Al Hamra Tower.

These files had been stored in our hard disks since then, almost forgotten and in danger of being corrupted, deleted and worst, being lost forever.

More photos can be found on my Flickr account.

A little disclaimer though, I don't claim ownership of these photos. They are just uploaded for the sole purpose of sharing a rare glimpse of Kuwait history for the younger generations, citizens and for expats who arrived in Kuwait in the later part of the decade. All credits are due to LAS Architectural Consultancy Office.

No comments: